Thursday, June 17, 2010

Record list

I took a day off work today to catalogue my record collection. Not because I'm a sad anorak-wearing documenter (though I fear I may be), but for insurance purposes. The packers have recommended I do so, just in case anything happens between Bangkok and Beijing. Actually, a batch of records went missing when we moved from London to here so there's reason in the madness. But madness is what it ended up being. Working fairlly solidly from 8am to 10pm with breaks for lunch, the girls and dinner, I only got up to H! OK, so I couldn't resist adding the label and year of release, but even so, I'm amazed it's taking so long.

Still, it was fun listening to stuff in the process, including records I've not heard in decades. Creme & Godley's Consequences for example. I bought it second hand, not at the time (1977), but out of curiousity several years ago, but don't think I got beyond side one. The 70s produced some amazingly preposterous follies, but this must surely beat all contenders. It started out as a way of promoting the Gizmo, a device they invented which fits onto a guitar and bows the strings. But slowly - very very very slowly - it turned into six sides of protracted nonsense, with an unfathomable 'plot' with Peter Cook narrating and Sarah Vaughan (!) singing. Finally, after 18 months, it was released with a lavish booklet in a black box... at the height of punk. It totally bombed. Amusingly, there's a website devoted to it here.


1 comment:

  1. label and release year....the dead giveaways: don the anorak of shame.

    ReplyDelete