Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Qing zai shuo yibian

Please say it again. Six hours of class work + 2 hours of homework each day. Forgotten what it's like to study like this. I must confess I didn't really try with Thai. But quite enjoying this although I keep forgetting the vocab and the tones are hard. Today I learned that mai means both "buy" and "sell" depending on how you say it, and consequently that if you put the two together - maimai - it means "business", which makes some kind of perfect sense. I also love the fact that an elevator is a dianti (literally "electric ladder") and a computer is a diannao ("electric brain").

There are two British Embassy guys in school too. One's been here for six months, the other just starting like me, but both have had a year studying in England already so they're pretty advanced. I'm lucky to get four weeks. I can hear them chatting with their teachers in adjacent rooms and am green with envy.

Lunch is a take-in. Yesterday I ordered mine at 11am for 12 noon. It arrived arrived half an hour late so I lost most of my lunch hour hanging around. Today I placed the order at 10am and it arrived 10.30am! Still, it's popped in the microwave and is nice & filling. By 5pm it's my brain that's full.

No comments:

Post a Comment