Sunday, October 31, 2010

All Hallows Eve

The usual Hallowe'en capers... At school on Friday, everyone - including the teachers - spent the day in costume, yesterday we made pumpkin soup (which N threw up) and today a motley group of kids trick-or-treated goodness knows how many flats in the compound. What does it all mean? Wikipedia tells us it has its roots in a Celtic festival called Samhain which celebrated the end of the lighter half of the year and the beginning of the darker half, and that the border between this world and the Otherworld became thin then, allowing spirits to pass through. Costumes were donned to scare the bad ones away. So there you go.

5 comments:

  1. I love it. Had some more for lunch today actually. Thai pumpkin soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actual think I was with you in the BC canteen in London the very first time you tried it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my memory's not that good, I can't recall what I had!

    ReplyDelete