Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Jobs

This afternoon I spent two hours shortlisting for a job we're offering. There were 20 candidates, ranging from speculative no-hopers to extremely experienced. We'll get the right person I'm sure and that's what matters. All the same, I felt for the others as I leafed through 6-page applications which clearly took hours if not days to compose but equally clearly wouldn't make the grade. And I particularly felt for the younger applicants: keen, fantastic educations, internships galore, trying to get a foot in the door, facing the vicious circle of needing experience to get the job which requires experience. And I felt for our two children. In the not too distant future they'll be in a similar position, competing with thousands for job titles that currently don't exist. And I know I've been incredibly lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment