Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Lamb Laid Low on Broadway


Laid low all day with food poisoning from yesterday. I'd reluctantly eaten Starbucks's last sandwich which, along with two dry muffins and a sad scone, had probably been sitting in its counter all holiday week. Bad move. 
However, I did manage to install all my records & CDs in our new home. How much longer can I keep this up?  
Coincidentally, the new issue of Record Collector arrived today, but no solace there. "I used to be an avid collector", said alt-musician/producer Jim O'Rourke, "but put a halt on it about five or six years ago. It reached a point of saturation and the idea of transporting that much weight when I moved around the world seemed ridiculous." These days he lives in Shinjuku, Tokyo, one of the best places in the world to buy collectable vinyl and CDs, so I think it's safe to say he's not kicked the habit. 
A surprising thing that came out of the article was his obsession with Genesis's The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. "My love for this record cannot be contained. I know every word, every note of every instrument. I listened to this record every night all through grade school and still listen to it every chance I get". Briefly - roughly when it came out (in 1975) - it was my favourite record too, and I still love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment