Wednesday, August 27, 2014

It's Me, Kathy

Meanwhile in London, hushed expectation, disbelief and then reality befell those lucky enough to witness Kate Bush in concert, 35 years since she last performed live. 
Whereas many would have chosen a few mega shows at Wembley or O2, Kate, ever contrary, has gone for the more intimate experience of 22 shows throughout this autumn at the Hammersmith Odeon (I refuse to call it anything else). 
The reviews are good, polite, respectful, even if she didn't play the early hits. But she did perform Running Up That Hill, Cloudbusting, even the whole (?) of The Ninth Wave, as well as more recent stuff including a fair chunk of Aerial. And typically, there are weird bits - a mini play in which her teenage son appears, a short film, dancers dressed up as fish skeletons... A quiet triumph by all accounts. Ah well, I await the DVD.
KB's early years coincided with my late teens, but did I have Kate on my bedroom wall (so-to-speak)? No, it was Debbie Harry for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment